Durham E-Waste Recycling & Paper Shredding Event Saturday
Free, Convenient Event Open to All Durham Residents and Businesses
What: E-Waste Recycling and Paper Shredding Event
Who: City of Durham Solid Waste Management Department, Sonoco Recycling, Shimar Recycling, Synergy Recycling, and Durham County Government
When: Saturday, October 26, 2013, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Durham County Memorial Stadium
750 Stadium Drive
Durham, N.C. 27704
· The event will accept nearly all electronic devices with a cord, including:
o Computers, laptops, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
o Televisions, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, record players, etc.
o Kitchen electronics, such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
o Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
o Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks and vacuum cleaner
o Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
o Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
o This event willnot accept large appliances, refrigerators, air conditioners, or any other appliances that contain Freon.
· Confidential paper shredding will also be provided on site. Requirements for shredding include:
o Paper may contain paper clips and staples; however, hanging file folders will not be accepted.
o Only paper should be brought for shredding. CDs, DVDs, and other non-paper items will not be accepted.
o All paper should be loose and not in binders or other binding items made of non-paper.
o Residents may be present to observe their confidential document shredding if the amount to be shredded can fit into one 96-gallon roll cart (approximately 240 pounds of material or approximately eight small, banker boxes of material).
o Participants with larger quantities will have items placed in boxes to be shredded off-site at Shimar Recycling’s secure facility.
· Event attendees will not have to leave their vehicles to unload all of their old electronics and paper since staff will be on hand to unload these items.
· Durham residents who can’t make this event can still safely and conveniently recycle their old electronics at the City’s Waste Disposal and Recycling Center (Transfer Station), located at 2115 E. Club Blvd. The facility is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
· For information about items accepted at this event or the City’s recycling facilities, contact Durham One Call at (919) 560-1200 or visit http://DurhamNC.gov/ich/op/swmd/Pages/wr_transfer.aspx.