DURHAM, N.C. — With parking in downtown Durham now more in demand than ever, the City of Durham is rolling out new equipment to better collect payments, while making payment options for parkers more convenient.
Beginning June 1, 2014, parkers who use the Centre, Chapel Hill, Church, and Corcoran Street Parking Decks will begin using the new 3M Parking Lane Pay Stations to pay for parking and to exit the parking decks. Using the new pay stations will be a three-step process in which the Lane Pay Station processes the fee automatically and displays it in an LCD window. If change is due, it is then issued in coins and a receipt is either provided on-demand or issued automatically. The stations will also provide flexible payment options, by accepting coin or paper currency ($1, $5 and $10), debit/credit cards as well as merchant validation vouchers.
According to Director Mark Ahrendsen with the City’s Transportation Department, the move to install the Parking Lane Pay Stations was an opportunity to make paying for parking more convenient with diverse payment options for downtown parkers while also enhancing revenue collection to support the City’s parking system. “It’s important that everyone who parks in the City’s parking decks is appropriately paying for the space they are using,” Ahrendsen said. “This equipment will help us capture the revenue that is currently not being collected, which will then go toward supporting our parking system. The added benefit for parkers is that they can easily pay upon exiting the decks, making it more convenient to use the City’s parking decks when they come downtown.”
New operating procedures will go into effect on June 1st, which include:
· Entrance/exit gates will be down 24 hours/7 days a week, except for special events.
· All hourly parkers will have to pull a ticket to enter and exit the deck.
· Hourly parkers will be charged for time up to 7 p.m.
· Hourly parkers will pay the attendant before 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, or will pay at the Parking Lane Pay Stations by following the three-step instruction guides prominently featured.
· Hourly parkers who pull a ticket after 7 p.m. will not be charged upon exit. Upon exiting, the screen will show no charge and the gate will lift to allow for exit.
Also effective June 1, there will be new Special Events Operating Procedures, as follows:
· Parking attendants will raise the gates at the main entrance approximately two hours before the event.
· Attendees will pay $3 and receive a ticket upon entry.
· An attendant will pull a ticket for those who are not attending the special event (or, for the Corcoran Street deck, the parker can pull a ticket at the Ramseur Street entrance).
· The exit gates will be raised for a pre-determined amount of time before the end of the special event to allow event attendees to exit more smoothly.
· Any parkers leaving the deck while the gates are up can exit with no charge.
· Any special event attendees leaving after the gates have been lowered will be able to exit at no charge with the ticket.
· Any parkers who did not pay the $3 fee and leave the deck while the gates are down will pay for the time up to 7 p.m.
· There is no charge for parking after 7 p.m. Monday – Friday, and weekends until 8 a.m. Monday.
For additional information about City parking services, visit http://durhamnc.gov/ich/op/dot/Pages/Parking.aspx or contact Lanier Parking Solutions at (919) 680-2481.