For Immediate Release: January 13, 2015
Share! RSVP now for free Durham Youth Summit Jan. 20; http://bit.ly/1xXf9Ea
Durham YouthWork Internship Program Hosts Youth Summit January 20th
Free Event for Youth Ages 14 to 21; Businesses Invited to Learn More About
Becoming Youth Worksite During Orientation Session
What: 2015 Durham Youth Summit
Who: Durham YouthWork Internship Program in partnership with Durham Parks and Recreation
When: Tuesday, January 20, 2015 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Where: Holton Career and Resource Center
401 N. Driver Street
Durham, N.C. 27703
· The Durham YouthWork Internship Program, a Durham City/County/Durham Public Schools initiative, is hosting the 2015 Durham Youth Summit next week in partnership with Durham Parks and Recreation.
· Youth ages 14 to 21 and their parents are invited to attend this free event to explore and learn about various careers, community resources and educational opportunities.
· Participants will also interact with businesses at the Career Fair, and they will have an opportunity to participate in workshops around three topics: Social Media, the Gaming Industry and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math) careers.
· Youth can also win prizes including a PlayStation 4, an HP laptop computer and a pair of Beats headphones.
· Local businesses are invited to an orientation session where they will receive information on becoming a worksite for youth and hear from other businesses with experience in working with the Durham YouthWork Internship Program.
· Youth pre-registration is preferred by sending an email – including full name, age and school/program – to DurhamYouthWork@DurhamNC.gov. Participants should dress in business casual attire.
· For more information about the 2015 Durham Youth Summit, contact Employment Program Coordinator James Dickens with the City’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development at (919) 560-4965, ext. 15217 or by email to James.Dickens@DurhamNC.gov.
· For more information about the Durham YouthWork Internship Program, visit http://durhamnc.gov/ich/cb/oewd/Pages/Summer-Youth-Works-Program-Durham.aspx.
About the Office of Economic & Workforce Development
Guided by the City’s Strategic Plan, the Office of Economic & Workforce Development helps ensure that Durham has a strong and diverse economy by increasing the city’s tax base through several revitalization initiatives, including new development efforts in the central city area. The department also plans and promotes cultural awareness and events, identifies and recruits target industries as well as assesses and trains Durham residents to fill new jobs. For more information, visit http://www.DurhamEconomicDevelopment.org.